Walk in Public Hours:
- 7 Days a week
Contact the Shelter/Animal Control:
- Emergencies after hours or weekends please call 732-248-7400
Located past the Municipal Complex, at the end of POW/MIA Blvd., the Edison Animal Shelter/Animal Control serves Metuchen, Piscataway, Dunellen, Highland Park, and Edison. If you have lost a pet or are looking for a new pet, please call or visit the shelter. Please note that the selection of dogs and cats available for adoption change on a daily basis. Visit the shelter to confirm availability of the pet you are interested in. The shelter always has a great selection of companions, and the purr-fect one is probably waiting just for you.
The Edison Animal Shelter is an adoptions shelter. We have a selection of dogs, cats, and small furry & feathered pets available for adoption (look at our Petfinder.com page for a list of all current Adoptable Animals)
- Fees: All of our dogs/cats are fully vetted spayed/neutered and up to date on vaccinations, as well as, micro chipped.
Small Furry & Feathered: $35.00
If you must surrender your pet, please note the following:
* You must call first and provide pet information
* We may be full-but can as a courtesy post your pet on our Face book and Pet finder pages.
* All dogs must pass a temperament test. We cannot take in feral cats or dogs with aggressive behavior or bite
* Veterinary Records must be provided at the time of surrender.
* You must pay a surrender fee to help with the cost of care for your pet. If your pet is not spayed/neutered,
the fee will be at a higher rate.
If your pet was picked up by Animal Control, you must provide proof of ownership to redeem (license, proof of rabies vaccine)
1st Occurrence: $25.00 plus daily boarding fee (if applicable)
2nd Occurrence: $50.00 plus daily boarding fee (if applicable)
3rd Occurrence: $100.00 plus daily boarding fee (if applicable)
Daily Boarding fee $4.00
Additional Expenses: Any expenses not specified or of an unusual nature shall be charged at cost or a reasonable estimated charge (ie Veterinary Expenses, Boarding if owner is aware animal is at shelter and fails to pick up)
Animal Control officers are available 24/7. ACO's are responsible for enforcing town ordinances pertaining to animals and investigating animal cruelty/neglect. Service pro vied:
- Picking up stray dogs. We normally do not pick up stray cats as many cats are indoor/outdoor cats and we give them the opportunity to return home. NEVER FEED STRAY CATS!
- Picking up injured/sick/stray/domestic animals (dogs/cats) and injured/sick wildlife.
- Removing wildlife from a resident's living quarters. Attics and walls are not considered living quarters and a local PEST CONTROL company should be contacted.
- Investigation of animal bites and quarantining animals involved in bites.
- Animal nuisance complaint investigations and inquiries
- Picking up of deceased domestic animals (dogs/cats)
- Cruelty/Neglect Investigations
- TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) management of feral cats in Edison and participating towns.
- Removal of deceased deer in EDISON only
**NOTE we do not trap and remove healthy wildlife**